1) I have a serious caffeine addiction that led to a night in the emergency room. Apparently 14 cups of coffee in one day can cause heart attack-like symptoms. At least that’s what the EKG tests indicated. So now it’s decaf only.
2) The best way to work out dialog problems is to read the lines aloud. So I do. In their voices. This is why people leave me alone when I’m writing.
3) I moved so many times growing up, I accused my parents of being in the witness protection program. By age thirteen I had lived on both coasts, Utah, and several states in the Midwest.
4) The book I’d most like to see turned into a movie. The Power Broker by Robert Caro. Though often forgotten now, one man, Robert Moses, single-handedly shaped the future of urban development and civic planning for nearly forty years in New York. There may never be another civic planner like him again.
5) I22 agents passed on my book The Last Track, one of them twice. I queried one agent (Agent A) at their original agency and they requested more material and then passed. About a year later, the same pitch went out to a different agency and a different agent (Agent B), but Agent B thought it sounded right up their colleagues alley and passed the query letter and sample along to Agent A, who apparently had no recollection whatsoever of our history, requested more material and then passed again.
* * *
Born in Kansas City, MO, near the center of the United States, Sam Hilliard arrived during a very scary period of the 1970s. Since then he has lived on both coasts and quite a few places in between. Currently, Sam resides outside New York City with his girlfriend and an army of four cats—one feline under the legal limit. His first book, The Last Track: A Mike Brody Novel, a mystery/thriller, released this Spring. When Sam’s not writing, he’s the Director of IT at an all-girl boarding school where he gets to observe world-class drama firsthand. It’s also the reason he studies Krav Maga and Tai Chi.
Publisher’s site: http://www.buddhapussink.com
*excerpt from The Hot Author Report. To read more, go to: http://www.thehotauthorreport.com/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-sam-hilliard-author-of-the-last-track